After going through many, and I mean MANY laundry detergents, I have finally found something that works! I’m no longer on the search for Zero Waste & Eco Friendly Laundry Detergent.
Years and years later, after finally realizing my skin was having massive reactions to all the products I was using, and it wasn’t getting any better, I finally decided to look into why! Whelp my family has eczema, which means I inherited a predisposition to having extremely sensitive skin.
I’ve DIY handmade a few different recipes, I’ve tried a few stores bought ones, and have even tried alternatives. No more searching for a zero waste & eco-friendly laundry detergent, I’ve found it, and want to share my discovery with you!
#1. Seventh Generation and Meyers
- I’ve come to realize that these laundry detergents never seem to get the smell out of my clothes.
- They come in a thick and bulky plastic bottle or a “recyclable” bottle. I put the recyclable bottle in quotes because a lot of recycled materials end up in the landfill due to not being washed properly, improper transportation, or even lack of buyers wanting used plastics. It’s not a guarantee. So let’s avoid the plastic!!
- Over pouring usually happens, which wastes product and money!
- The liquid gets everywhere and makes a mess.
#2. DIY Laundry Detergent
- Buying all the separate materials takes time, energy, and effort to gather and put together.
- All the extra boxes and packaging from the items being put together end up in the landfill or “recycling” and still creates waste.
- When I tried this recipe with The Castile soap it ended up leaving streaks on my clothes, and then I needed to wash it three times to get the soap out fully! Too much waste of product, water, and wear on my clothes & washer. I even tried a couple of different Castile soaps to see if it was just the one I was using.
- When I tried this recipe without the Castile soap bar, my clothes didn’t feel clean and still had dirt on them.
I wouldn’t ever recommend or make this again. I now just use it as a toilet scrub until it’s gone! Ha!
#3. Eco Nuts / Soap Nuts / Soap Berries
- Very gentle, too gentle for me personally. I do lots of gardening and adventuring outside and need a detergent that gets the dirt out! However, it’s great on delicate clothing.
- Sometimes it doesn’t get the deeply ingrained smell out of the clothes. I personally sweat a lot from exercising and love spices in my foods! Need I say more?
- Soap nuts also have many other uses and can be used as a multipurpose cleaner, shampoo, body wash, surface cleaner.
- They have a very earthy smell
- The berries have to be used on the warm cycle in the washing machine OR boiled in water to make it concentrated enough to lather
- Batches have to be made small or stored in the fridge
- The concentrate have to be made in small batches or stored in the fridge
- Completely 100% natural and the main component of soap nuts is the saponins. Saponins are a naturally derived component that foams when shaken with water.
I personally enjoyed this product for uses other than detergent. When I had long hair I used it quite often as a hair rinse.
If you’re interested in giving it a try and letting me know what you personally think, click here for the link to the soap nuts.
- Low Waste – Relatively Zero Waste (Only the stickers on the box are plastic) The box can be “recycled” or better yet, composted!!
- 100% Carbon Neutral Shipping
- No Product Waste; the pods are pre-measured to be exactly what you need!
- Plant-Based, Cruelty-Free, and Vegan. The pods are fully plant-based and break down in the wash without having to worry about the microplastics ending up in the waterways, like other companies! WHAT A WIN!
- Can be washed in cool water. Washing clothes in colder water is better for the environment; It takes energy to heat water and the hot water can also wear down your clothes faster
- Very affordable. Around $0.19 per pod. Generally, it’s only one pod per small to a medium-sized load, or $0.38 cents per large load.
- Hassle-free; Easily bought online and can sign up for a subscription, so it’s delivered without the stress of running out
- Mess-Free; Traditional pouring laundry detergents leave a mess everywhere and leak. What a waste and extra strep to have to clean up after! Plus, it gets gunky and gross! EWWW!
- All ingredients disclosed
- Current EWG Rating: B
- Easy to travel with! I just pop a few into a hard-shelled-to-go container, my carry-on if it’s a short trip. But I back more into my checked luggage if I’m staying longer than a few weeks. It’s still a liquid, make sure to follow TSA guidelines for liquids.
I have managed to go through almost an entire box with absolutely no issues, no weird smells or stains, no skin reactions, just pure joy to have finally found a detergent that works, I was getting so discouraged and drained from all the money I was spending trying to find one that worked. Maybe you were having the same problem?! Well, here is the solution!
Here are some of their awesome options for detergent:
- Stain & Odor Laundry Pods – Clean Scent
- Stain & Odor Laundry Pods – Lavender Eucalyptus
- Stain & Odor Laundry Pods Oxi Booster – Unscented
- Sensitive Skin – Unscented
Want to try their dishwasher pods?
By signing up on their website, you’re able to earn rewards points. Every dollar you spend gets you a point, when those points build up, you can redeem them at check out for a discount off your total.